What the Hell?

Thursday, December 30, 2004

Dying for Tampons...

A while ago, I found a website called www.anysoldier.com. This website is a resource for people who want to send letters and/or care packages to our soldiers serving overseas. (Go ahead and read up on this site, but just a review...most requests from soldiers are geared towards those who don't get much mail or any packages. It gives people like me, who are feeling helpless, a way to feel like they're doing something for our brave men and women.) Of course, I am now obsessed with this site. I have been reading it for several days straight (not blinking, mind you) and last night I went and purchased some items to send to some female soldiers in Iraq.

**I had asked my 20 year old cousin Sarah, who is getting ready to go on her 2nd tour of duty in Iraq, if soldiers not getting mail was a problem and if soldiers really used most of the things they asked for. She said that they use baby wipes for everything from personal cleansing to weapons cleansing and truly need the things they're asking for either as a basic necessity, or just to make life a little easier in the war zone. I almost bawled (imagine) when she told me that during mail call, everyone gathers around and the faces of those who get nothing are so sad, she ends up giving a lot of her stuff away. Of course, she gets sent a care package about every other week, so she can be generous. Some are not so lucky. That damn near broke my heart.

Anyway, in memorizing this site, the thing that bothers me the most is that these wonderful people are lacking (or needing more of) some of the most basic necessities in life. One of the most asked for things by females is "please send tampons". Tampons! And panty liners. One soldier even posted that even though they can "sometimes" get these items at the PX, they have to convoy through a dangerous area to get there. Are you kidding?? First of all...can you imagine having to ask the general public for these things? It would be like me putting an ad in the Lincoln Journal Star..."Married white female seeking feminine hygiene products. Absorbency not an issue." Secondly, I'd bleed all over my camo before I'd get shot at trying to buy Kotex. These people are putting their lives on the line for my freedom and they are asking for such monumental things as Tampax and Chap Stick.

I chose four soldiers to send care packages to. Four females. I chose women because, well, I am one, and I thought about how amid all the dirt and grime and sand and crap and bullets and fear and pride and battles and bombs, I would still want to feel like a woman. So I'm sending chap stick, body wash, lotion, shampoo and hot chocolate and yes, tampons and panty liners. Some soldiers request cigarettes and CDs and things of that nature, which is great. I'll send them some of those things later. But first, I want to be sure that the women soldiers have the Tampax and panty liners they are requesting. And, I'll never take a Playtex Gentle Glide for granted again.

0 Comments:

<< Home