What the Hell?

Wednesday, October 07, 2009

Those Were The Days

Let's Play a Game

Let's play a game, you and I. Go waaaaaayyy back into your past and remember something that happened to you, you did, you saw, you thought, whatever. Think of something you did that you wouldn't dare tell your grandkids, but still sometimes brings a smile to your face when you remember it. A smile and maybe makes you blush. Go ahead and giggle a little bit and feel embarrassed in a good, titillating sort of way. Or, maybe you remember something that makes you feel slightly guilty in a hedonstic sort of way. Or makes you hope your mother never finds out.

Okay, got something in mind?

Good. Post it.

Ha! Just kidding. Kind of. I am bringing this up for a reason. Have you ever thought of something like that and it seems so long ago and so foreign that it's almost like it either happened to someone else, or you just read about it or saw it in a movie? I have lots of stories and situations that, because of my youth, and probably, well, beer, seemed like good ideas at the time. Perhaps it's places I went, people I knew, things I did, things I probably shouldn't have done, etc. A lot of these situations make me blush, to be honest. And, I'm SO FREAKIN' OLD that it almost seems like these things happened in a dream. Or on TV or in a book. I think anyone who gets to be my age, well past their youth and slightly to the left of stupidity but to the right of senility, has these things that they pull out of their memory once in a while, if nothing else, to prove that they had a different life "before".

I am thinking about a situation right now. I am embarrassed about it, yet part of me wants to giggle like a school girl, putting my hand over my mouth to prevent the tittering of a ninth grader to fly out. I can almost feel the heat and rosiness creeping up my cheeks. It seems like so long ago, because it was. But, it also seems like such a distant memory that I almost have to sit and really think if it was real. It was, but it has taken on that soft focus quality that comes with blurring with age. It still makes me feel twisty inside, though. :-)

I think the older I get, the fewer and farther between these memories will be. Mostly because I haven't created many new deliciously naughty stories, but also because I've been paroled out of that life so long that eventually most of it will slip out of my ears completely, until it's jarred back in by a catalyst.

Those were the days, my friends. Those were the days.

“Fond memory brings the light of other days around me.” Thomas More

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home