What the Hell?

Monday, September 12, 2005

Things about my Grandma

She was born on January 16th, 1930 on a farm outside Exeter, NE.
She had 14 brothers and sisters.
One time her parents forgot her in town. (with that many kids, I can see how).
She raised me.
Whenever she bought me something, she would hide it behind her back before giving it to me.
When I broke up with a boyfriend and moved back home, I slept in her bed for six months.
She still remembers that.
She loves crossword puzzles.
She one time fell over a roll of carpeting in her house that was being used to redecorate and broke her ankle in nine places, requiring surgery.
She's a devout Catholic.
She has seen everything.
She has heard everything.
One time, when doing my laundry over there, she held up a little bustier/negligee type thing of mine (during my wild, pre-marriage days) and said, "Do you wash this in cold water?" I could have died.
She still gives us all $5 for our birthday.
Her mom and dad have been gone since the early 70's and she misses them every day.
She had a stillborn baby. Her last baby.
Loves to watch TV.
Hates conflict.
Loves Nebraska Husker sports. (Especially basketball)
Could eat chicken every single day of her life.
We used to go on walks together every night when I was in middle and high school. She once told me that as a kid, I wasn't afraid of anything.
She wants to pay us for helping her clean her house.
Has 17 grandchildren. I'm the oldest one. The youngest one is 30 years younger than I am.
She stays with my aunt Colleen every year during Christmas, for several weeks.
She has epilepsy.
One time I took her to the Vet's hospital to see her brother, who was critically ill. She walked into the room and said, "Paul, do you want to pray?" They prayed and he died a week later. A few years after that, another of her brothers was in the Vet's hospital, also dying. She barged in and asked if he wanted to Pray. They prayed and he was gone a week later. I told her to stay away from the Vet's hospital.
She used to tell me stories all the time of her and her brothers. Not so much her sisters, but her brothers. I love those stories. One time, we went to her brother's house and he told the same story she did. I laughed so hard I about wet my pants. That brother also died. He was younger than my grandma.
Her reward in Heaven will be so great, that it will be ridiculous for me to mourn her when she's gone.
She has a wonderful sense of humor, often depreciating, but often acknowledging the fact that she's 75 years old, and isn't going to go dancing soon. ( She never fully recovered from that severe ankle break).
She walks with a cane most of the time.
She just started having panic attacks for some reason.
She always calls to tell us she's "been thinking about us all day." Especially on our birthdays.
If she doesn't call on my birthday, I panic.
She does not like to cause conflict, or be around conflict, and stays out of any family discord we might have with each other.
I wish I could still live with her.
Did I mention she raised me?
Who am I kidding. I will miss her so bad when she's gone.
She's not afraid to die. She told me that.
She has made all of her family vow that they will NEVER put plastic flowers on her grave.
She had such a severe appendicitis attack when she was 18, she almost died.
The thought of being without her at some time makes me sick.

3 Comments:

  • At September 12, 2005 at 9:02 PM, Blogger One little sheep said…

    Um, Yeah, Emily Santiago, Im sure she fucking wants to know how to buy and sell everything.

    Anyways, hello. If I was a lesbian, you would be my girlfriend. I love, love, love your posts. And, sad to say, I cried when I read the post about your dad. (I cry over emotional shit anyways, but still.) My dad is not in great health, and I always think about what it will be like when he dies.

     
  • At September 13, 2005 at 10:15 AM, Blogger Nebraska Angie said…

    Hi, One little sheep! Glad to know you'd be my girlfriend if we both played for that side. Ha!! Welcome to my psychotic blog.

     
  • At September 25, 2005 at 9:29 AM, Blogger twostrawsmom said…

    I was also raised (part of the time) by my Catholic grandparents. I really liked the story about your grandma. My grandparents were the most patient parent figures I've ever known. Loved that letter to the boss, by the way...thinking maybe I'd feel better doing one, too.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home