What the Hell?

Thursday, July 28, 2005

God Presents: "Do The Right Thing".

So, today, me and God were hanging out together while I was talking a walk during my break. It was just the usual chit-chat, but when I crossed the street, I encountered one of Lincoln's homeless. This guy sits all day in the sun with a sign that says "Homeless. Every Little Bit Helps."

I've worked in downtown Lincoln for almost 15 years, and I don't recall ever seeing this many homeless people. They're on every corner, every park bench. Some will beg for money, some will try to touch you, and one even imparts words of wisdom in Lakota. Some are worse off than others. Some have clothes that look like they've been washed in the last few weeks, while some are wearing the same things they wore when I first saw them 15 years ago. Some are obviously mentally ill, while others look like they have just fallen on hard times.

Anway, I see this guy sitting there, like he is every day, and I decide that for today, I'm not going to avoid eye contact. I usually do, not out of any disdain, but because I don't want them to think I'm staring at them. Today, though, God kind of nudged me. "Look at him."

He looked up at me with startling blue eyes and smiled. I said hi, he said hi back and I asked him how he was doing today. He said he was fine as long as he stayed in the shade. Luckily for him, it's about 25 degrees cooler than it was last week, so it's not quite so brutal. I continued my walk and paged God again.

"I want to do something, God, but I don't know what. Every one says don't give them money because they'll spend it on booze or drugs, or God knows what else. What else, God?"

"Things he needs. Water. Snacks."

"That sounds like a good idea, God. I'll run over at break and get some bottled water."

So, I did. I got some bottled water, some M & Ms, a package of granola bars, some trail mix. I then walked back over to where he had been sitting.

He's not there.

Crap. Now what do I do? I don't want to keep it at my desk and trek around town tomorrow trying to find this guy. My plans are ruined!

"Not so fast."

There is another group of homeless on the other corner. I could give the stuff to them, but there's four of them, and frankly, they don't look so homeless. More like skater boys gone rebellious. More like people who might choose to be homeless. I know that's harsh, but they didn't appeal to my homeless helping Ego.

"Well, God, I can't say I didn't try. I guess I'll just..."

"Over there."

I see legs poking out from the OTHER corner. (See? I told you the population was big.) I think to myself, "Cool! There he is! Hopefully he'll remember me!" I go bopping across the street to hand him his new snacks, and IT'S NOT THE SAME GUY!

I had about 2 seconds to decide what I was going to do, when this man looked up at me with striking blue eyes and smiled.

"Go on."

I stopped by him and said, "How about some water and some snacks?" He said, "That would be great, babe. Thanks!" I set the bag down by his legs, smiled, and left.

I walked away thinking, Crap! That's not the guy I wanted to give it to! I wanted to give it to my new friend down by the Post and Nickel building! Now that guy has all the stuff and my guy has nothing and I'll.."

"His need was greater..."

Oh. Got it. God led me in the right direction. He's a good friend and I'm glad he was with me. Or, I'd have had to go looking around for Mr. Post and Nickel tomorrow. I'm convinced there will be another chance for me to help Post and Nickel out again. Until then, I'm avoiding the skater boys. I don't care what color eyes they have.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home