What the Hell?

Sunday, May 29, 2005

Happy Brain Fart Day

Whew! Thank God for Memorial Day! 'Cause, see, I would have forgotten all those who are now gone. A whole day to remember! Lucky me! If this day didn't exist, I wouldn't wake up tomorrow, Monday, Memorial day, and say, "Huh! My dad is dead! I shall memorialize him today!" Whatever.

I truthfully think Memorial Day was invented so furniture stores can have sales. That's all I"ve been seeing on commercials. "Memorialize your loved ones and those who died fighting for your country by buying a new bedroom set!" "Really show them you care by getting this lovely washer and dryer combo, with approved credit! Everyone qualifies!" I throw up in my mouth every time I see a commercial that capitalizes on a Memorial Day, for Christ's sake...

I've got an idea! How about a day where we're allowed to FORGET the horror and sadness we've gone through if we've had someone close to us die?? How about that?? We will call it "Brain Fart Day" and we will be allowed, for one 24 hour period, to completely forget the pain and anguish we've gone through. We can forget the life-changing phone call, the funeral, the burial (or cremation), the choosing the death clothes...all of that, erased from memory for one convenient day! AND, we can even have the day off to do it! When I become president of the United States, I shall institute this law immediately!

My Dad, (who is in the grave, by the way, so I don't have to think about him until tomorrow...you know, memorial day) would laugh at this holiday. He'd say something like, "Why bother remembering me? I just sat around and drew flies." he would say in his self-depreciating way. I would tell him that although that was true, they were his flies and I loved them both. We would laugh.

But now, I guess I have just one stupid day to memorialize him. What a rip off! So tomorrow, I'll spend the afternoon tending to his grave (which I love doing, by the way) and maybe plant a couple of flowers around his and my grandparent's graves. I'll use my little cemetery broom and sweep away the dead leaves and mown grass. I'll dust off the praying angel I have sitting on his gravestone. I'll make sure the grass looks good and the pine cones aren't taking over. I'll clean the bird shit off his headstone. (HA!) I may even talk to him a little. But mostly I'll think about him. Like I do every single waking minute of my life. And sometimes even the sleeping minutes. I don't need a damn day to tell me to memorial. I do fine by myself, thank you.

I'm looking forward to Brain Fart Day. A chance to forget, for one luxurious day, the sadness. Celebrate with me, will you? Then we can go look at a New Dinette Set at the local KillMeNow Furniture Store. With approved credit, of course.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home